question

newuser-4b19c187-1329-4a4a-ab09-5362bfb3bafd avatar image

Use Echo/Dot to control .Net application?

Here is an idea that I'm gonna throw out there. I am a developer at a small software company that creates custom business related software tools. Is it at all feasible to have an Echo or Echo Dot sitting on a persons desk & have them say something like "Alexa ... show me the account details for XYZ Corp" and the AVS service would send that string to one of our software tools via the API. Our application would then take that string & interpret it into an action, in this case looking up an account. I can actually already do this using the Bing speech recognition API, but it requires the user to have their headset on. I think it would be much more user friendly if they could just speak a phrase & have the Echo/Dot pick it up & do the requested action. Any thoughts? Is this even remotely possible or am I just dreaming?

alexa voice service
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Bill Oatman avatar image
Bill Oatman answered

If your API is via a web service of some kind it is possible. However getting random spoken words like "XYZ Corp" in your example and passing them to your API I believe is problematic at the moment anyway. But if you can predefine all the possibilities for "XYZ Corp" then it is certainly doable.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

elstryan@Amazon avatar image
elstryan@Amazon answered

Hi,

In order to address your use case you would also need to develop a custom skill (https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit#get-started-now) that you would enable on your Alexa device. Then the flow would be as follows:

1) You would make voice requests to your skill on your Alexa device "Ask Alexa to Open Account Query" where Account Query is your custom skill 2) The service that hosts your skill code will receive a request (if your following the getting started guide this step would probably be fastest/easiest if you use AWS Lambda) 3) Then your skill service would call your API to get the account details.

4) At that point you can return a speech response to your Alexa device with the account details. or 5) Using account linking or the userId in the request you would maintain a mapping of where to send the account details (https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/linking-an-alexa-user-with-a-user-in-your-system)