question

Amy avatar image
Amy asked

@LEIA and Copyright Team -- PLEASE don't refuse to remove Pixel By Pixel Design theft over Title. ...

Received this today from copyright team in response to infringement forms:

"Short phrases are not covered by copyright, nor are ideas. As these items do not share artwork we do not believe there is a copyright claim here."

Copyright infringement not filed for Title but instead for pixel by pixel design theft

This will NOT work Merch Copyright team

Why? Because 90% of design theft copycats copy EVERYTHING, especially title

Had my designs been actually looked at for all of the titles I submitted, they would see that these are all indeed pixel by pixel, title and description theft..that are hitting my pockets and taking food off the table for my family

I have emailed Anne at Copyright to review but if this is the new standard, and if design theft occurs but title is the same (besides being an insane notion) this is going to be a field day for theft

Was this an error? Is this the new norm? @Leia@Amazon

Thank you and happy halloween

merch by amazoncopyright
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Carrie H. avatar image
Carrie H. answered

It sounds like she's saying the shirt itself was a word shirt. If that's the case, unless you trademark it, it's not necessarily copyrightable (and sounds like here she thinks its not). If it was a design that was copied, email merch directly. They're pretty good at responding to this kind of stuff quickly.

1 comment
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

John Adams avatar image John Adams commented ·

If you create a t-shirt that is nothing but text, if someone else has the rights to use that font, then they can also use that same text, and it is not copyright-able in any way, form, or fashion no matter how that text is aligned. If you want to protect yourself, throw in a graphic or something that you have a more exclusive right to use.

1 Like 1 ·
Amy avatar image
Amy answered

I have a shirt that ranked under 10K...these are all pixel by pixel copycat theft instances

I don't care about the title, or the "idea"...I care about my identical design being ripped off by at least 15 sellers

My assumption is the rep looked at title only, and not the design as its blatant and obvious theft-- there really is no variation and it wasn't one word...it was several words with a unique distressing that I hand crafted to a commercial font and

2 comments
10 |5000

Carrie H. avatar image Carrie H. commented ·

Short phrases aren't copyrightable either in most cases (distressing doesn't make it a unique enough design to change that). It sounds like that's what they told you. But, If you feel otherwise, I would contact merch directly by email. You will get a more effective response.

0 Likes 0 ·
Maverick Merchant avatar image Maverick Merchant Carrie H. commented ·

Amy, from what you are describing , a unique distressing that you hand crafted, then I feel you have grounds to legitimately complain, if they have used your distressing. It is also quite likely that they have not purchased the font and do not have a license for it. I should contact them again and explain this in detail and even attach a copy of the font license.

1 Like 1 ·
Amy avatar image
Amy answered

I emailed them again -- I am not yet able to wok on adobe and work off of picmonkey -- I use gimp but only for basic features now -- Maverick you are right -- for my skill level, hand distressing or adding flairs on fonts is a VERY long process and I will learn a more sophisticated program eventually but for now, it works for me and I also think I have grounds to fight this as if you layer the copycats designs over mine its identicval placement and size, etc-- that's obvious by viewing side by side on two different browser tabs. I will continue the good fight lol Thanks guys

10 |5000

L. Frase avatar image
L. Frase answered

Okay...so maybe you need to respond that you created the original distressed background that was used for the design, and that you have not given permission or sold rights to anyone to use that specific stressing. That might work for you.

10 |5000

CanadaMediaGuy avatar image
CanadaMediaGuy answered

thanks for this, gives some insight into how they deal with word only shirts.

10 |5000