question

N. Fradkin avatar image
N. Fradkin asked

How can I store user settings?

Just as the title says. In the phone application there are things like the traffic settings where the from and to addresses are specified. How can I add custom settings for my project?
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greg Crawford avatar image
Greg Crawford answered
I am pretty sure that settings for your particular application need to be stored by your services.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
To add to this, the Echo cannot remember things past the end of the session. So whatever values you would want to have stored would have to be hard coded into your app.
10 |5000

Will Strain avatar image
Will Strain answered
I was looking for a way to do that too the best method I found was using the Dynamo DB and just reverse engineer what you need using the scorekeeper example from the Alexa Lambda example set.
10 |5000

R. Labanca avatar image
R. Labanca answered
I don't think the echo lets you know anything about the user including a way to know who it is if they activate your service again. At least I didn't see that.
10 |5000

Will Strain avatar image
Will Strain answered
Nope there is one. it is hard to get to I was able to get it from copying it from a sample code. It isn't a name or anything traceable it is formatted almost like the appId. Download the Lambda example set, open up the scoreKeeper example and look for storage.js (it is in the src folder). They use it as the index for their database (so that way one user doesn't get mixed up with another user). Now it isn't that useful of a bit of data unless you are using it like they do, to keep track of data across sessions, and you will need to set up a database to store the info you want tied to that id (and you will need to collect that data yourself). Also read through the read me and such with that example, it tells you how to set up the database so it links with Lambda and Echo
1 comment
10 |5000

This is what I had to do for my "London Buses" skill. I needed to store the users location and their local bus stop codes. The problem end-users now have is they want a way to add this information using their keyboard (instead of voice).

0 Likes 0 ·