question

Sanyu avatar image
Sanyu asked ·

10/03/2016 Introducing the Flash Briefing Skill API

Today we are introducing the Flash Briefing Skill API, a new addition to the Alexa Skills Kit, which enables developers to add feeds to Flash Briefing on Alexa, which delivers pre-recorded audio and text-to-speech (TTS) updates to customers. When using the Flash Briefing Skill API, you no longer need to build a voice interaction model to handle customer requests. You configure your compatible RSS feed and build skills that connect directly to Flash Briefing so that customers can simply ask “Alexa, what’s my Flash Briefing” to hear your content.

The Flash Briefing Skill API is free to use. Get Started Now >!

alexa skills kitflash briefing
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

From what I can tell, there is no way to customize this to the individual user - the 'userId' is not available.

I hope that, in a future iteration, we will be able to link our Flash Briefing service to a custom skill, and then get a userId for each Flash Briefing request.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

arnehelseth avatar image
arnehelseth answered ·

Completely agree with Tom.

We have a few use-cases for the Flash Briefing Skill API and they all rely on being able to identify the user to deliver personalized information.

Hopefully the omission of this is something that'll be added in the future.

Keith avatar image
Keith answered ·

I absolutely love this feature. My custom smartthings app connection to Alexa now will give me a home status in my morning wake up news. Coolest thing ever!

1 comment

Hello Keith, from what I gather, it's not possible to identify individual users with the Flash Briefing API, how do you make your smartthings app give you updates on your home? Did you make a RSS just for you?

1 Like 1 ·