question

Joshua Birk avatar image
Joshua Birk asked

What is the correct SSL option for *.herokuapp.com?

I'm trying to do a simple smoke test with a Heroku deployed app ( https://application-name-here.herokuapp.com). When I use: "My development endpoint has a certificate from a trusted certificate authority (required for certification)" The SSL option checks green, but Alexa says she can't reach the requested application. And the card says: The certificate of the endpoint uses a wildcard domain name in its cname or subject alts: *. herokuapp.com If I do: "My development endpoint is a subdomain of a domain that has a wildcard certificate from a certificate authority" Which seems more accurate, but does not check green in the skills setup and Alexa says "there was a problem with requested application's response". The content card says: The application responded with a non-200 HTTP status code I assume because she doesn't like the cert. This is purely for dev and testing, I don't have any immediate goal for production. Does it require a self-signed cert? Message was edited by: Joshua Birk
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Joshua Birk avatar image
Joshua Birk answered
OK - I *think* it is meant to be wildcard, even though the check does not flip green (?) Can anyone confirm? I found a bug in my code and I seem to be getting the response, even though Alex still won't say hello back. I now get no card instead of an error card.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Joshua Birk avatar image
Joshua Birk answered
Confirmed - it works now that I am handling the post body correctly. Seems weird that the wildcard SSL option won't show a green check, but it does work.
10 |5000

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
The wildcard cert option works, but it doesn't show a green check because it is not a valid option for an app to go through certification. For that, you need a certificate from a trusted authority which is not a wildcard certificate. Thanks, Nick
10 |5000

bosscube avatar image
bosscube answered
I'm having a similar issue. I'm using the endpoint https://www.mydomain.com/alexa and I selected the option: [i]My development endpoint has a certificate from a trusted certificate authority (required for certification)[/i] My SSL certificate is issued by Starfield and uses SHA-2. I can access the page and see the JSON response with a 200 status code, but using the test harness I get the following response: [i]Unable to call remote endpoint or the response is invalid[/i] In the Alexa app, I get the following error card: [i]The application responded with a non-200 HTTP status code[/i] Again, testing in Chrome and then again with a simple WinSock app, I can see a 200 status code, the correct application/json content-type header, content-length header, etc. I tried switching to the wildcard option, but when I do I get a different error card: [i]A connection could not be established to Resource [ https://www.mydomain.com/alexa], Type [HTTP][/i] Does Alexa not trust a Starfield issued certificate? I can switch the algorithm over to GoDaddy SHA-2 if needed.
10 |5000

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Is the certificate an SNI certificate? Those are not supported at this time and will give the error you describe. -Nick
10 |5000

bosscube avatar image
bosscube answered
I'm embarrassed to say I have no idea :) I just switched to SHA-1 encryption instead of SHA-2 so we'll see if that makes any difference. Also I just realized I could export the certificate in Chrome as X.509, so I'll try using the X.509 option in the Alexa console -- fingers crossed!
10 |5000

bosscube avatar image
bosscube answered
Nope, neither worked. I tried switching to SHA-1 and then exporting as base64-encoded X.509 and using that option. I still get an error card on the Alexa app stating what's below. I am out of ideas :( [b]Application response was marked as failure[/b] Request Identifier: amzn1.echo-api.request.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The application responded with a non-200 HTTP status code Response from my endpoint in Chrome: HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 23:30:40 GMT Server: Apache Content-Length: 222 Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100 Connection: Keep-Alive Content-Type: application/json;charset=UTF-8 { "version" : "1.0", "response" : { "outputSpeech" : { "type" : "PlainText", "text" : "Hello World!" }, "shouldEndSession" : true }, "sessionAttributes": {} }
10 |5000

bosscube avatar image
bosscube answered
So I just realized that the content length header appeared to be wrong. PHP strlen() didn't seem to be counting my line breaks. So I changed my code to this: Still no go. I tried just using {} as the response, and lo and behold, I get a different error: [b]Null SpeechletResponse[/b] [i]The SpeechletResponse must not be null[/i] This would lead me to believe that the endpoint is returning a 200 status but something is jacked up with the JSON response. I'm at wit's end though. Need beer.
10 |5000

bosscube avatar image
bosscube answered
Got it. There were 3 issues here. 1. My content-length was incorrect. I've fixed that by using json_encode(json_decode('JSON_HERE')) 2. I was using the following skill endpoint: http://www.mydomain.com/alexa .. Apparently this is BAD. Changing this to http://www.mydomain.com/alexa[b]/index.php[/b] instantly works. 3. Even with the changes above, the Alexa test harness provided by Amazon could not connect to my endpoint. Testing on the Echo itself is fine. I hope this saves someone else some frustration!! The beer definitely helped :)
10 |5000