question

CubeRoot avatar image
CubeRoot asked ·

Echo sometimes says random things

My Echo sometimes says things for no reason. We've noticed that music will start playing with no sign that the Echo was processing a command. Other times it will say part of a phrase and go silent. If you ask to repeat it doesn't know what the last command was to repeat. This happens nearly once a week. The most notable issue is that when you talk to Alexa it beeps to let you know it's listening. When these random words or actions happen there is no beep that she's processing a command. Just a sudden unexpected random response. Is there a way to see if an incoming command told it/her to say something?

alexa skills kitecho
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

geekgirl avatar image
geekgirl answered ·

Hello Everyone, may I ask you to check the cards in the Alexa companion app to see what is triggering these un-prompted responses. To do this, login to your companion app alexa.amazon.com --> on the home page you will see the interactions with Alexa. You can click "more" to see what Alexa heard in the voice feedback section. Please forward your inquiry and any supporting documentation you find in the companion app to customer support at the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us?ie=UTF8&nodeId=508510&ref_=hp_gt_comp_cu&skip=true

1 comment

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

In my experience, and according to some of these posts below, there are no 'triggers' and therefore no cards in the companion app that reveal what is causing these random sporadic playback issues.

Customer support/tech support by phone has been unhelpful. "have you tried unplugging it?" "have you tried a factory reset?" "did you try telling Alexa to stop playing?"

1 Like 1 ·
lroguet avatar image
lroguet answered ·

Same here, we heard the Echo talk yesterday while everyone was upstairs... kind of worrying. Wouldn't want it to start blasting music in the middle of the night. No signs of interaction (card) in the application either.

Keith avatar image
Keith answered ·

My did it a few days ago, just before my alexa alarm sounded (it was my wake up alarm, I was already awake in the other room so I didn't understand what it said, but it was definitely talking!) Now that I'm listening for it, it hasn't done it.

Brian avatar image
Brian answered ·

Hello. I have one Echo and two Echo Dots. one of the dots and the main echo both start speaking by themselves in the middle of the night. One of the dots I have in my bedroom and I listen to the Ocean Waves by Joe Baker. This plays fine, but when it finishes, Alexa says something like I'm sorry, but I couldn't play your song, or I couldn't connect to the internet The Main echo, in another room will start playing music or sometimes there is children's laughter playing This happens when I'm asleep, and there is nobody else in the house to active them. I've checked the alexa app for the history and there is no record of ANY of these activations

1 comment

Exactly! this has been occurring for the past 2 months - even with the mic button 'off' (in the muted state) , so it'd definitely not responding to something it's hearing.

I've tried rebooting (powering off and up) and a factory reset twice now to no avail.

Amazon customer/technical support only suggested what I've already done and had no other answers/solutions for these sporadic random broadcasts.

Flash briefing begins playing through my list but suddenly stops in the middle of a broadcast or between them. Sometimes it continues several minutes later or not at all.

In order to ensure it doesn't play randomly I have to unplug the power cord or turn the volume all the way down so at least I'm not disturbed by it. I even tried the 'do not disturb' command and after awhile it began playing music - almost as if to spite me. lol

It's become an annoying and fully unreliable gimmicky product.

0 Likes 0 ·
Bill Oatman avatar image
Bill Oatman answered ·

I have noticed one thing that triggers my dot 2. When people say things that sound a little like "alexa" it will go active, and if it hears something like a command it will attempt to act on it. Two such phrases I have noticed are "fixed a" and "fixed the". Like, "I fixed the light".

I just saw a commercial on TV for the similar device from Google. They wake their device up by saying "Ok Google". Smart, far fewer unintentional wake ups that way.

no avatar image
no answered ·

Not Smart-the 35 dollar quirky and always hit or miss-Chromecast which is required for Googles Talking Air Freshener

1 comment

I meant smart only in that the two words together as the wake up words would cut down on the false starts that Alexa can currently have. I agree about the looks of it, the first thing I thought was the air freshner as well :)

0 Likes 0 ·
RandomlyAmused avatar image
RandomlyAmused answered ·

I have three towers and one dot. My dot randomly said Goodbye. Just me in the house. I do know for certain that I have a resident ghost, and even know who it is. I'm wondering if this is my ghost or some weird random thing Alexa does.

1 comment

This may have just been a temporary thing. If it keeps happening, get in touch with customer service here.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick avatar image
Rick answered ·

last week my tower just said, "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that", nobody was speaking, couple of day ago she said "which song do you want me to play next" again no one speaking.. reason why I started looking at this at internet and found I am not the only one.. same case as others, looked in the commands and no history if what she heard..

SandyL avatar image
SandyL answered ·

My dot says "Hello" at night. Usually about 10 minutes past the hour. It does it after all lights are out, and the house is quiet. Wish I could shut it up.

2 comments

Also no record of any activity.

0 Likes 0 ·

Weird. Get in touch with customer service here; they might have more info on the matter.

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-221a1743-2bda-47ed-ac5e-4a68371dc9a6 avatar image
newuser-221a1743-2bda-47ed-ac5e-4a68371dc9a6 answered ·

Last night when we were going to bed, out of the blue our Echo Dot said, "Good night. Sleep well!" It was especially creepy because it never played the "Start of Request" sound to indicate it had been listening in the first place. It makes you wonder if your device has been hacked and someone other than Amazon is listening in your bedroom. Our Echo has also randomly said it "couldn't find that song" when we didn't know it was listening, and no one had said anything about music.

1 comment

Interesting! I'd pass that to CS here; they might be able to help further.

0 Likes 0 ·