question

jwjb avatar image
jwjb asked

What is the maximum number of sample utterances?

Is there a maximum number of sample utterances we can have as I am currently not able to add more than 4137 sample utterances for a skill I am building?

Since there does not seem to be a performance hit by having more sample utterances per this great reply post from Justin@Amazon, I am adding a lot more sample utterances for this skill than the few hundred or so I have added in past skills.

alexa skills kitsubmission testing certificationskillhow-totext-to-speech
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe at one point there was a 200k character limit, so you might still be running into that. Beyond probably ~1000 you're not likely to be hugely improving recognition, so I think it is probably worth removing some of them.

2 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@NickG@Amazon Thanks for the heads-up on this rule of thumb.

0 Likes 0 ·

Is there any development effort to increase this limit? This is extremely tight for a meaty skill that we are working on. Alexa's NLP model seems somewhat oldschool/backward that forces us to specify every conceivable utterance. API.ai and others do a great job inferring utterance matches to intents given just a few examples.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jackpile avatar image
Jackpile answered

A trick (or hack) I found works is when you have many reused permutations of a word sequence in utterances, you can create a slot to match and save on utterance space. For example, if you have a verb phrase prefix permutation of "Can I|Can we|I'd like to|I would like to|I want to|I wanna|We'd like to|We would like to|We want to|We wanna", you can create a slot called "IWant" for example that relieves the utterance permutation. Seems to work for me.

10 |5000