question

George Faraj avatar image
George Faraj asked

How to disable GameCircle plugin for Unity on iOS?

Hello,

Is there a way to disable the Game Circle plugin for iOS? I want to use the plugin only for Amazon devices and currently having the Game Circle plugin include its code during the iOS build is causing errors. Since I don't plan on using it in iOS, there should be a simple way to disable it. For example, the Google Play Game Services plugin can be easily disabled for iOS by using the NO_GPGS define.

I really don't want to modify the source code for the plugin to do this.

Thanks, George

gamecircleunity
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered

Hi George,

Thanks for posting! Unfortunately, at the moment there is no equivalent directive for GameCircle, and no easy way to disable the GameCircle plugin for iOS. Therefore, you will have to take out the iOS specific code in all of the C# scripts within the plugin. You would need to remove the libraries and other artefacts from the iOS specific build folders in Unity (look under Assets/Plugins/iOS).

It's probably best to remove them out in Unity so that they don't end up in the corresponding Xcode project.

It's not elegant, and if you need to update the plugin again, you will need to redo most if not all of that work, which does make it very tedious. That is the unfortunate tradeoff you would have to make to keep using I am imagining Game Center on iOS and GameCircle on Android / Fire OS.

In the meantime, I have forwarded your request to the GameCircle team for consideration. Thanks!

2 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Levon@Amazon avatar image Levon@Amazon ♦ commented ·

Thanks George, I will update this thread if/when I hear back from the GameCircle team. Thanks!

1 Like 1 ·
George Faraj avatar image George Faraj commented ·

Hi Levon, I appreciate your response, even though it's a bit disappointing. Removing the libraries from the iOS folder was not enough, I think I'll have to modify every code file in Game Circle to conditionally exclude it from iOS builds using a #define. Or I can just remove the Game Circle plugin completely and just use GPGS. I hope this gets resolved soon because I'm sure this is an issue for many people.

Thanks, George

0 Likes 0 ·
Alan avatar image
Alan answered

Oldish thread, but definitely something that needs doing. Very painful to have to go through every file and remove iOS code from it, when more often than not, iOS would use Game Center rather than Game Cirtcle.

Has there been any progress on this matter since the last message?

1 comment
10 |5000

Levon@Amazon avatar image Levon@Amazon ♦ commented ·

Hi Alan, thanks for posting! I agree with you that the process of removing / re-adding that code and plugin is painful, but regrettably at the moment there are no immediate plans to add that feature. I will post here whenever that changes. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·