question

R. Labanca avatar image
R. Labanca asked

Can others test my app

i know someone else with an echo, not a registered dev. How can I let them get access to a test app?
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greg Crawford avatar image
Greg Crawford answered
++ for this idea. It would *really* help development if we could associate a small number of other echos with our apps.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
Hi R., Spoke with some of the Amazon developers at the Dev Day this past weekend. They said the only current way to do this would be to have your friend log into their Echo with your Amazon account.
10 |5000

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
At this time only registered devices and developer accounts are capable of testing Alexa Apps. Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your participation and interest in Amazon's Alexa Appkit developer program. We are always looking for new ways to improve the Echo and the Alexa AppKit. Your suggestions will be relayed to the development team, and as I am sure you can appreciate we are not able to comment on any speculative information.
1 comment
10 |5000

This is a very important feature, to test as "users", not developers, before going live. Be great to have this capability added soon!

0 Likes 0 ·
The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
Hi Ross, Follow up question - would it be possible for me to test R. Labanca's app? Both of us have developer accounts, and both of us have registered Echos.
10 |5000

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
Follow up question - will there be a time when developers will have access to the "Echo App Store" before it's publicly available? I ask because this would be a great way to help other developers test their apps.
10 |5000

fatball avatar image
fatball answered
Is it still the case that only a single developer can test their app? I want to demo mine to other people (using other Echoes) without making it public.
10 |5000

Branson Blair avatar image
Branson Blair answered
It seems we already have a way to test other peoples skills but maybe it is not as simple or obvious as what you are asking Amazon to do which appears to be to link developer accounts. I realize many people probably realize already how to do this but I thought a simpler explanation might help others to share code and more linking to happen. Here is how my wife and I test and use each others Amazon skills on different Echos with different accounts: We both have developer accounts. I create a AWS Lambda code for my skill/service and get an ARN She creates a new skill in her developer account and gives it a name, invocation, and utterances but points to my ARN and then saves sure we both have a little setup and can even name the invocation differently but we are still sharing the same code testing via the ARN link. This could be true for HTTPS: too if you give out your public cert for the tester to upload into their skill setup process.
10 |5000

Steve avatar image
Steve answered
But how did you deal with the App ID? You have to specify an application ID in the lambda function. Each Alexa skill has a different app ID.
10 |5000

Galactoise avatar image
Galactoise answered
You don't have to specify an application ID in your lambda. That's a general suggestion that the Alexa team has given for making sure you aren't getting requests from non-Alexa sources, but you don't have to actually check for it.
10 |5000

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
At this time all users must be registered developers to test skills that are not live. The development team is currently looking into other solutions.
10 |5000