question

Pratik avatar image
Pratik asked

Suggestion - Disallow Unverified Buyers To Leave Reviews On Merch by Amazon Listings

Based on the this thread here and my today's experience, I would like to make a suggestion that I feel all would welcome (except scammers and cheats, of course).

We know that Amazon welcomes product reviews from all the buyers, verified and unverified (i.e. those who purchased the said item from Amazon or not). And that's okay. We cannot contest or say anything in that regards as we may not know if the reviewer is lying or not as that item is available to be purchased at retail stores.

But, with Merch by Amazon, it is clear that all Merch by Amazon T-Shirts are sold ONLY via Amazon.com. Therefore if an unverified reviewer is leaving a bad review, it should be very clear that he/she has an extremely low mentality and is trying to game the system by making his peer's listing look bad by leaving bad reviews.

Such people should be already banned, but that's a talk for another day. But for now, what I'd like to suggest is - what if we stop/disable unverified buyers (people who has not purchased) Merch By Amazon t-shirts to leave a review and get an error that they have to be a verified buyer to leave the review? That'd stop these bad people to a greater extent. I know for the fact that Amazon does this on some of their very own products because they know they are not available for sale elsewhere.

Why not do same for Merch?

Any constructive feedback on this idea is welcome by Amazon staff and other MBA members.

Thanks.

merch by amazon
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

TacoWoman avatar image
TacoWoman answered

Absolutely agree. It makes perfect sense, merch shirts cannot be bought elsewhere, so the only unverified reviews are coming from competitors or people who disagree with the message of your shirt (I've seen this for political shirts for example) or the designers themselves.

1 comment

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Very good and important point. Yes, people who are not competitors but disagrees with you also are sometimes compelled to leave bad review. Hey, I'm sorry if I hurt your sentiments and opinions but it's business! You can't leave reviews like that.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ryan Tomlinson avatar image
Ryan Tomlinson answered

1000% agree

Ken Reil avatar image
Ken Reil answered

Yes to this. Getting tired of copycat merch'ers leaving fake 1 star reviews on my selling shirts and then piling on fake 5 star reviews on their shirts.

Sheldon avatar image
Sheldon answered

100% Agree

Jumping Rope & Eating Cookies avatar image
Jumping Rope & Eating Cookies answered

agreed 100%. Well done.

Holly S Hertzel avatar image
Holly S Hertzel answered

There are also people leaving unverified POSITIVE reviews for their own products, and having "all their friends" do the same. In this way they also game the system by making it look like the product is popular and well liked. Under the current system, this is legal and OK. I'd prefer if it wasn't.

5 comments

Someone on the forums, I "believe" Leia did say not leave reviews on your own shirts. I need to find that post.

1 Like 1 ·

Yup, I remember that comment of Leia too. It was recently only.

1 Like 1 ·

Good, I'm not crazy then lol

0 Likes 0 ·

Awesome, thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
SAM@Amazon avatar image
SAM@Amazon answered

Thank you for sharing your feedback about customer reviews. Unfortunately, the Merch team does not have access to assist further with customer reviews. But you can contact Amazon's general Customer Service team for more support at https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html

Further information about the posting reviews can be found here at https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/30426/original-design-reported-by-a-copycat.html

5 comments

@Sam@Amazon I think it would be more effective and well friendlier than me suggesting anything to another Amazon department. This is best communicated internally between all the Amazon teams rather than a customer going and suggesting.

In many cases, they see us like aliens when we talk about Merch by Amazon program lol. Please try to put a word into their ears when this is being discussed internally, would really be of a big help!

2 Likes 2 ·

Hi Pratik, of course and I hear your point! I appreciate the feedback and I will share the feedback with internal team.

4 Likes 4 ·

Thanks Sam!

0 Likes 0 ·

Sam@Amazon Perhaps a person in a supervisory position could make an internal request to the appropriate department? Customer service is not familiar with the various Amazon programs. They are only trained to deal with customers. A lot of departments are not even aware that the Merch by Amazon program exists. Surely there is a department that handles reviews. This should be a supervisor to supervisor, department to department internal discussion. It does make sense to limit reviews for shirts sold through the MBA platform to require verified buyer reviews since the shirts cannot be purchased elsewhere, and it would cut down on the fake reviews (both positive and negative).

1 Like 1 ·

Beautifully put. Definitely that is what I was trying to say. Such suggestions are best discussed internally. A customer or consumer is not taken seriously when suggesting this type of feature change.

Btw @L. Frase you would need to also add an "@" on front to tag someone. Just thought I'd put an FYI.

0 Likes 0 ·
Pratik avatar image
Pratik answered

Bumping this very important topic for Amazon staff to see and give their inputs on.

Jumping Rope & Eating Cookies avatar image
Jumping Rope & Eating Cookies answered

yes this is an important one and one we need some clarity on.

Arteeste avatar image
Arteeste answered

YES... Everyone here on the forum be sure to play by the rules and let the criminals run free and continue to pillage our coffers. Amazon still profits the same either way.