question

omnomnious avatar image
omnomnious asked ·

Can I use Alexa Voice Service to control my own (unsupported) products?

Hello, the answer to this question keeps changing in my head. Sometimes I think it's possible and continue working on my custom Smart Home Skill and other times I get the impression that it isn't and that I'm wasting time. I want to know whether or not it's possible to control your own products using Alexa Voice Service. More specifically, I DON'T want to use an echo I want to use Alexa Voice Service and I DON'T want to control commercial Echo compatible products like the WeMo or Phillips Hue among others. Is this possible? And if so how would I have AVS discover my devices or know what I'm referring to when I say "turn on my lights" for example? I know device discovery isn't supported for AVS but how else could I get my Smart Home Skill to know the names of my products? I know some other people on the forum have shown it's possible to have an RPi for example to imitate a WeMo to make the RPi discoverable, but what if I don't want to do this? Would I need to use a Custom Skill (not Smart Home) instead?

I would really appreciate someone clearing up the confusion as I would love to learn that my efforts have not been in vain. Please let me know!

Thanks,

Omnomnious

alexa voice serviceskillalexa smart homehow-todevices
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Eric@Amazon avatar image
Eric@Amazon answered ·

Sorry, to clarify:

There are two current mechanisms for discovering devices: cloud-based discovery and local discovery. Echo can do local discovery - finding smart devices on your local network - as well as cloud-based discovery, but AVS can only do cloud based discovery.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

NickG@Amazon avatar image
NickG@Amazon answered ·

You should actually be able to use AVS with smart home skills and device discovery. Device discovery is all cloud based, which makes this possible. You enable a skill, link your account, and then discover devices. Even though you may not be on the same network as those devices, the account you logged into when you enabled the skill has a record of them and can control them.

2 comments

So you're saying it is possible to use AVS to control unsupported devices? What about this answer on the forum:

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/10673/discover-device-from-avs-running-on-raspberry-pi.html

0 Likes 0 ·