question

George Gavalas avatar image
George Gavalas asked

Stuck on fire os 5.0.5 after developer preview was installed.

Towards the beginning of 2016 I installed the developer preview and now my 1st gen firetv is stuck at version 5.0.5. I tried resetting to factory defaults, dereg/reregistering the device etc, but it just won't update. I contacted support and they could see I wasn't set to receive any updates but had no idea why and after shuffling my call around I was told there was no information on developer previews and that they would let me know their findings at some point by phone or email. After some research I found several sites/posts that referred to an issue with developer preview users being stuck on that version and needing to be moved to a different upgrade pool to begin to receive updates again. I would very much appreciate being able to update this device again. It is the only firetv device attached to the login I used to post this message. I can provide any details about the device necessary.

fire tv
1 comment
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Got an email back from customer support and their response was as follows "I'm so sorry, but we can't offer any additional insight or action on this matter." I saw that this was fixed for another user on this forum on August 3rd by moving them to the regular update pool so I'm hoping I can receive a fix here, too.

1 Like 1 ·
Sindy@Amazon avatar image
Sindy@Amazon answered

Hi George. Thanks for posting and apologies for the issues getting your device out of the developer preview pool. I have located your device and moved it back into the public pool. The device should auto update, but in case it's stuck, please follow these steps:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201497590

4 comments

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Worked great! Thank you so much! You have helped me where support/customer service failed and that means a lot! Your help along with this developer forum as a whole goes a long way to boost my faith in Amazon!

1 Like 1 ·

We appreciate the kind words, George! Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Sindy,

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm in the same situation with my FTV Stick. I created a "Contact Us" case in January (2017), but no resolution yet. Please let me know if you need more information to locate my device and move it from the preview pool.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi MadMonk,

Could you please provide the case ID? Thanks!

Update: Nevermind, I see you posted it here:

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/70842/fire-tv-stick-stuck-on-505-os.html

0 Likes 0 ·
Aicjofs avatar image
Aicjofs answered

I am in the exact same boat mate. I installed the developer preview and now stuck on 5.0.5. No one seems to help or even know what I am talking about when I contact support. Can someone shine some light on who can add my device(FTV1) back to regular update pool?

1 comment

Hi Aicjofs! Sorry you're having the same issue. Please log in with your developer account and send a Contact Us. Refer to this forum thread and I'll be happy to assist you as well.

https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/support/contact/contact-us

1 Like 1 ·