question

Paul Philion avatar image
Paul Philion asked

Custom alarm clock possibility?

Greetings, I am trying to figure out how to get the Echo to do home-automation stuff on a schedule (time-based). I can set up simple home automation stuff and have it controlled by scheduling in lamdba, but I can't figure out how to make Echo do anything. Reading through the forum, there seems to be no way to make any sort of "push" or notification work for the Echo. Is the Echo alarm app available in source, to be adapted for special purposes? Or is that whole capability completely locked down (voice time scheduling of later events, notifications, recurring alarms, more interesting output. Thanks, - Paul Philion
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
The Echo is a consumer device created by Amazon. Alexa is a voice service, run by Amazon, and available on The Echo and a few other devices. The alarm clock is a feature of The Echo. It is not an Alexa skill. There is no way for a 3rd party writing an Alexa skill to implement anything that sends an alert or other notification to a device. The Alexa service only supports a very strict call (by the device) and response (from the server) protocol. The source code for the Alarm clock feature of The Echo is proprietary to Amazon, and is not based on the Alexa Skills Kit.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

eBelong avatar image
eBelong answered

Once a user installed a skill on echo through Alexa, user should be able to get notifications from the server, based on the time and location. I hope after few years since the launch, this is something that can be done. e.g. I want to get a notification or alert to pick up my kids from school without asking or setting alarm/reminder on Echo.

Other example could be to get notification about my flight time and if its delayed or not. The whole concept of ASKING does not make sense if we the Developers like to make AI smart apps.

10 |5000

Randy Thompson avatar image
Randy Thompson answered

I have a nerdy skill that might do what you want: www.notifymyecho.com

10 |5000