question

bansalbhavin avatar image
bansalbhavin asked ·

Home automation using custom skill

Hello,

I am working with one app and I have successfully implement turn on/off, device discovery etc features using smart home skill. They are also working well. But now I do have requirement where suer can change color of light.

I have read in documentation that as of now smart home skill have no support for color change request and I will have to build custom skill.

So do I need to implement custom skill for all desired action which needs to performed on devices? Or can I create custom skill and use it inside my smart home skill? Also if I develop custom skill with account linking how I will be getting deviceId which is the primary requirement to perform any action. Is there any provision in custom skill where I can map devices with different group names same as smart home skill? I have not came across cuss thing while going through documentation.

Any help is really appreciated.

alexa skills kitalexaalexa smart home
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Brian@Amazon avatar image
Brian@Amazon answered ·

Hi,

It's true that the smart home skill doesn't have support for color change requests. You will have to build a custom skill.

You need to implement a custom skill, you unfortunately cannot create one to work inside a smart home skill. If you develop the skill with account linking you'll need to manually pull an identifier from the smartdevice and then link that to a device ID. There is no provision to implement grouping automatically, but it is possible to implement manually.

Other forum members may have more advice for implementation, and you can see the code for an implementation for hue here.

https://github.com/sarkonovich/Alexa-Hue

10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.