question

El Conde avatar image
El Conde asked ·

Another copycat: Tee Gift

Look up this brand name: Tee Gift

They just ripped off one of my top sellers and probably one of yours.

Amazon, just add watermarks to t-shirt images and end the constant pixel for pixel ripoffs.

merch by amazoncopyright
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

JD avatar image
JD answered ·

Actually watermarking is a good idea.

5 comments

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Although, some people don't understand that the watermark won't be printed.

0 Likes 0 ·

So you *might* lose a FEW sales because people don't understand watermarks? That's BETTER than losing THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of sales because people are buying RIP-OFFS elsewhere. It's worth it to use watermarks.

1 Like 1 ·

MBA could add a standard bullet point, for all shirts, that states the watermarks will not print!

0 Likes 0 ·

Unless it's a copycat that stole the design with the watermark then the watermark will print. I've seen stolen shirt with part of the zoom-in box in the design.

0 Likes 0 ·

Honestly, watermarks aren't going to help at all. We've had copycats steal our designs from our Shopify store, which are watermarked and include ©OurBrand in the design itself. These jacka**es actually publish our designs on Merch as is, including our © and Amazon allows it to go through and sell. In all honest I'm surprised there isn't a class action by honest publishers against Amazon at this point for the millions of dollars in lost/pirated revenue generated by copycats, that Merch appears to care less about.

0 Likes 0 ·
William avatar image
William answered ·

watermarks would be very helpful

Leia@Amazon avatar image
Leia@Amazon answered ·

Watermarks are a suggestion that comes up periodically in the forums, I have this noted to share with the team.

2 comments

Copyright infringement is rampant on Amazon Merch and Watermarks have been discussed in these forums for many many months.

1 Like 1 ·

At least make watermarks optional. We the designers could then take the risk of using them or not. To me, the potential loss of a few sales is far outweighed by the fact that I am losing thousands, not just in lost sales but in lost hours (because of time spent tracking down thieves, sending cease and desist letters, etc) because of the rampant thievery. Thank you.

1 Like 1 ·
MDS Designs avatar image
MDS Designs answered ·

This account has stolen a few of my designs. I have reported them over the last few weeks and they are still up.

Amazon customer avatar image
Amazon customer answered ·

What's the URL for tee gift?

Amazon customer avatar image
Amazon customer answered ·

Yes, Leia please watermarking! I know it's not a full solution but it will make a difference. Right now we designers are sinking fast as the thieves rip off our designs literally AS they're being put up.

2 comments

Watermarks will cheapen and would kill the commerce for Amazon sales structure.

0 Likes 0 ·

Watermark the large preview would be a good start though.

1 Like 1 ·
El Conde avatar image
El Conde answered ·

Here is the URL for Tee Gift. Look and see if your t-shirt design has been stolen:

https://goo.gl/dqijHh

And it looks like they are using a second brand exclusively for stolen Hillary Clinton t-shirt designs:

https://goo.gl/qB0WyL

Again, this is a known thief who continues to be allowed to sell on the Merch platform. They should have been banned a long time ago. Hopefully if enough of us submit infringement claims, Amazon will do something about it.

newuser-fe6ff9e3-9088-4704-b0b5-0c44b2d1ad76 avatar image
newuser-fe6ff9e3-9088-4704-b0b5-0c44b2d1ad76 answered ·

TEES avatar image
TEES answered ·

Is it the exact font ? Same layout? Or is it the "exact everything" ? Or did they just use the phrase? Is the phrase trademarked?

Digiholic avatar image
Digiholic answered ·

@TEES Why do you keep asking the same questions when someone complains about their exact work being stolen - copied pixel for pixel and word for word? If you are selling any t-shirts on Merch then you should know that designs WILL get stolen!! Period.

Do you work for Merch? Or are you copying designs and are therefore trying to convince people it's not really happening? Please enlighten us.