question

sumeet batheja avatar image
sumeet batheja asked ·

How to specify if the release is a major/minor/patch in the Amazon developer console while submitting a web app for Fire TV?

How can I specify if the update is major/minor/patch while submitting web apps to fire tv? I can't find any way to specify this, every time I submit an upgraded build, it increments by major number (1.00->2.00) , when I want to update just the minor number(1.00->1.01)

fire tvapp submission and updatesweb apps
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered ·

Hi there,

At the moment such a use case is not supported. Since you provide only the URL or web files and let Amazon generate the application for you, the automatic generation will always increment the version by a whole number (that is 1.0 to 2.0 and so on). If you want to control your app's versioning, you will have to submit your app as a proper Android (.apk) app that you build yourself. That way your build system will be able to control versioning in a more granular way. Thanks!

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jacek avatar image
Jacek answered ·

Hi Levon,

Would you consider modifying your build system to take a vendor supplied version number given during the app submission (by adding an extra field in the App File tab in the dashboard)?

Can you escalate this question to your developers? I think that more developers would like to see it done this way. Best!

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered ·

Hi there,

Thanks for posting! I have submitted a feature request to the Dev Portal team to allow developers more control over version names for their web apps. As there's no ETA for this, and if versioning apps is critical for you, you will need to build your app manually as an Android app, instead of supplying the URL or web files archive. You can use Cordova to quickly package your web app and get an .apk on the output, which you will submit as 'Android' app, rather than 'Mobile Web' app in the Dev Portal.

As a side note, when you submit a URL or web files .zip, we use Cordova to build an Android app anyways. So if you perform that step on your side, you will have control over versioning. Regrettably, you cannot change the type of an existing app that is live already, so you will have to submit it in a new application placeholder and then somehow notify your existing users to update / switch to the new app manually. Thanks!

2 comments

Hi Levon,

Thank you for submitting it to Dev Portal team! Really appreciate it (you got my like for it :) If you let me how can I help to get Amazon more serious about that feature (where to post, whom to call), I will.

Although, suggesting that instead of Amazon automated build doing one simple sed command during the Cordova build, rather all of us building an Android App doesn't seem balanced at all. It just violates the whole concept of Web App Tool that Amazon provides.

I assume that there are more developers that are working on multiple apps that derive from the same code base. It just doesn't work for anyone to have the same code be versioned randomly. Best!

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks Jacek,

And thank you for the like :) Yes, I agree that having an additional option to set the version for web apps would be hugely beneficial. My advice to go with Cordova to build an Android app is only a workaround, until it's corrected in Dev Portal (don't know when at this point). Regardless, the Dev Portal / Web team is aware of this feature request.

As for contacting options, there's no email or phone support; the only 2 channels are this forum and the Contact Us form in your Dev Portal, both of which my team monitors. If you have any other feature requests, please feel free to let us know, either via Contact Us, or here in the forums by clicking Create / Post an idea. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·