question

Engine44 avatar image
Engine44 asked

Development Costs?

I am very interested in creating some skills for Alexa. These skillls will probably used by my family in our home. They would enhance the value of Alexa. It would be fine if other people chose to use them also. In reading about Alexa Development, I get the impresssion that I might have to pay Amazon under certain conditions (e.g. Lamda). This has me confused. I would be working for Amazon and paying to do it? It doesn't make sense. Please explain. Thanks.
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered

Hi Engine44,

Welcome to dev forums and thanks for posting. Like Galactoise said, you can always use your personal server if you wish, or alternatively consider Amazon’s AWS to host your service and utilise some of its non-expiring offers, such as AWS Lambda’s 1 million free requests per month: https://aws.amazon.com/free/

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Galactoise avatar image
Galactoise answered
If you're just developing in Lambda, your costs will be approximately 0. If you're running your own webservices on your computers at home, you probably won't have any costs either. The thing you pay for is if you're using AWS services, since in that case Amazon is providing servers (or databases, or whatever) for you to use. Our two live skills are running on a single EC2 micro instance, which costs us about $10 a month. It would be neat if there was some way to get a tiny amount of monthly AWS credit for live skills using their infrastructure, at least until monetization concepts mature on the platform. For most of us, though, the monthly costs of what we're using are so trivial as to not matter.
10 |5000

Galactoise avatar image
Galactoise answered
Wow, I didn't realize Dynamo's free tier was non-expiring. I had been avoiding setting it up to fiddle around with, since I'm beyond my 1-year.
10 |5000

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Yep, the *Lambda free tier is separate from the main AWS free tier, and does not expire, but that isn't made entirely clear on some pages. -Nick
10 |5000