question

Amazon Customer avatar image
Amazon Customer asked ·

Alexa skill and website control

Hi All How can i control my website with Alexa skill app. For example - if i say Alexa open about us page, open profile page in my browser. Is this possible ? I would really appreciate if you can help me with some code sample or some guidance. Thanks
alexa skills kitdebugging
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Galactoise avatar image
Galactoise answered ·
Yes, you should be able to do something like that. If you were running a webserver on your machine that handled the Alexa requests, it could theoretically launch whatever processes it wants. If you're going to do that, I might even recommend launching the browser with Selenium so that you could do further manipulation of it via your webservice.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Amazon Customer avatar image
Amazon Customer answered ·
Yes code will be in my own server but i don't know where to start on this. Here is the more clear example - To open website and go page to page, for example if i say Alexa open AboutUs page, open ProfilePage etc. First i thought i can control webpages using socket IO then my friend told me its not possible so i got confused. This is what my friend said - So it's currently not possible to use Alexa to perform command and control tasks. You would need speech to text which Alexa does not provide. The Alexa Voice Service only returns audio responses and not text. One way he is correct but i want to explore other ways........ Can you please help me on this. Thanks
2 comments

Were you able to progress with controlling web site using Alexa ? I am also interested in the same. Please let me know

0 Likes 0 ·

I am trying to connect my website and merch amz to alexa and similar web but it s too hard.

this is my site: haikyuu.store

0 Likes 0 ·
Galactoise avatar image
Galactoise answered ·
Right, so you'll set up an Alexa skill that will point at your web service. Your web service will then use Selenium to launch a browser. Once Selenium has opened that browser, you can send it commands from within your service to operate like a normal browser. What I would recommend, though, is starting this project on the webservice/selenium side, and worry about connecting it up to Alexa after you have a service that can launch (or control) a browser instance from an HTTP request

blgontheroad avatar image
blgontheroad answered ·

I'm using a 3rd party package called shutter pro, which is a web service that sits on your computer, and sending urls to it.

Rachel Batish avatar image
Rachel Batish answered ·

kamajathon avatar image
kamajathon answered ·