question

sreenathkc avatar image
sreenathkc asked

why there is a delay after a response or repromt?

I noticed that there is a long delay between a response/after reprompt until echo starts listening to an input (the light blue led changes to listening mode). This causes a delay which is unusual, and users will have to wait quite a while until they can speak. In general, users will want to talk to alexa immediately after hearing a response. In this case, they have to wait about 5 seconds until alexa will start listening.

I Am using alexa skill template speechlet output, or sometimes ssml audio output, along with a text.

Is this a known limitation or I Am doing something wrong?

example: '<speak><audio src="test.mp3" /> Do you want to listen to another Joke?</speak>'

1.Alexa plays the response.

2.waiting..... about 5 seconds (?)

3.Alexa starts listening for inputs.

alexa skills kitskillalexaresponsessml
1 comment
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi! Are you still encountering this issue or has it been solved? Please let us know.

0 Likes 0 ·
jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered

I think this is unique to you. For me it starts listening right away. In fact, you can even interrupt it during playback by saying "Alexa..." and give your response immediately.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-c7ef6001-3c01-4424-af9f-fec2315cb194 avatar image
newuser-c7ef6001-3c01-4424-af9f-fec2315cb194 answered

I have got a similar problem but with Raspi with two other devices:

1. AlexaPi on Raspi3

2. Alexa Voice Service (AVS) with cURL ( https://miguelmota.com/blog/alexa-voice-service-with-curl/)

The corresponding device accepts the wake word but then I have to wait for 5-6 seconds before it listens to my question (sends it to the AVS).

My Echo (3rd device) works perfect: It immediately after the "Alexa" wake word it listens to my speech...and replies most of the time promptly.

Is there anybody else experiencing problems with this delay?

10 |5000