question

echonewbie avatar image
echonewbie asked

the requested skill took too long to respond

The first time we invoke the skill, Alexa responds with "the requested skill took too long to respond." On the succeeding tries, it responds with our Skill's greeting. Even if we tried to hit our web service first from the browser to "wake" it up, and then use Echo to open the skill, Alexa still responds with the same message on the first try.

Any suggestions on how we can solve this issue?

alexa skills kitalexa voice servicealexa
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered

Sounds like you are on the right track. You've got some initialization overload. My skills have some setup to do, so my CI/CD script always pings them to make sure they have completed initialization before marking them on-line.

Instrument your code. Put in logging so you know what is happening when. Compare the code path when called from Alexa to when you ping it from the web. That will help you narrow down why your ping isn't solving the problem.

A lot is going to depend on how and where you are hosting your skill. Lambda is different from Elastic Beanstalk, and one language is different from another. I can't help you more without more information. All I can say is that is, likely, isn't on the Alexa side.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.