question

Joseph Shelby avatar image
Joseph Shelby asked

Non-Amazon Android no longer available?

I only just realized when I submitted an update to my app and found updates not being sent to my Samsung tablets, that the options to select "Non-Amazon Android", along with Blackberry and a few others, in the supported devices list has been totally removed. Is there a reason for this? Has there been some change, or did I screw something up?
web apps
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Joseph Shelby answered
Actually, even just clicking the link for "Mobile Web" submission for a new app and the options for Non-Amazon are gone, even though they were there last week when I first submitted it (and got it approved).
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

DougM@Amazon avatar image
DougM@Amazon answered
Hello Joseph, We no longer support Web Apps, that Amazon packages for you, on Non-Amazon devices. If you would like your Web App available on Non-Amazon devices, please submit a packaged Web App using a framework such as Apache Cordova or Adobe's PhoneGap project to create a native binary using web technology.
10 |5000

Joseph Shelby answered
May I ask why, or at least, why was this change not so significantly published anywhere? I only found out because what once worked suddenly didn't. Meanwhile many web pages on the developer portal here, granted dated around August to December, still list that this is supported. I'm ok with the change, understanding that stability of the app is something you can't control when you don't control the O/S, but I'm not comfortable with the utter lack of any communication to developers that this change was enacted.
10 |5000

DougM@Amazon avatar image
DougM@Amazon answered
Hello Joseph, Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately we cannot share the specific reasons as to why this change was made, however we will share this with the appropriate internal teams for consideration in the future.
10 |5000