question

Glympse avatar image
Glympse asked ·

Maps in a Fragment / FragmentActivity

We have an app that uses just V1 Google Maps, but are looking to update it to support other devices, such as the Kindle Fire, BB10, and other Android platforms that don't support Google Maps. In the process, we plan to drop V1 Google Maps and move to V2 Google Maps. This means we will be moving from a MapActivity to a FragmentActivity (actually, it's a SherlockFragmentActivity in our case, but that is based on FragmentActivity through the compatibility library). Right now, it appears that in order to use the Amazon MapView, we need to base all our activities on the Amazon MapActivity. The Amazon Maps FAQ seems to confirm this. I could hack up the Android compatibility library to base the FragmentActivity on top of Amazon's MapActivity instead of just Activity, but I'd prefer not have to do that. It really complicates our build process and drags Amazon's MapActivity into everything we do on all platforms. The role of the MapActivity is to manage the life cycle of the MapView. Is there any plan for Amazon to release at least something like a MapFragment that can mange this life cycle so that a MapActivity is not required? Have others found a way to use Amazon's MapView without Amazon's MapActivity? We are picking up at least one other 3rd party map control as well, which does work in a Fragment. For now, we'll probably just use that 3rd party control on Amazon devices, but ultimately it would be nice to use the Amazon control on Amazon devices. Over time, it will be what users expect.
amazon maps
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sachin@Amazon avatar image
Sachin@Amazon answered ·
At this time the Amazon Maps API does not support fragments. We generally do not answer questions about future products or services, which this falls under. However, I'm going to forward this feedback/suggestion to the concern team. Please stay tuned on Mobile App Distribution Portal or Blogs ( https://developer.amazon.com/blog/index.html) for any updates related to this. Thanks.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

EmuKing avatar image
EmuKing answered ·
I too am looking for a solution to this. The lack of fragment support for maps has completely halted submission to the Amazon store for our company. If Google still did not support Map Fragments in their support library, I'm sure we wouldn't be in this mess, but we designed our whole app using fragments and the new SupportMapFragment. With no Amazon Maps solution that doesn't involve hacking the compatibility library, redesigning our already completed app, or integrating a 3rd party maps api which we have no experience with has left us to scrap submitting to Amazon. Maybe someday we'll revisit this if Amazon ever gets around to releasing support. Looking forward to it.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered ·
Hi EmuKing, We have already informed the right team for this feature. Please stay tuned on Mobile App Distribution Portal or Blogs ( https://developer.amazon.com/blog/index.html) for any updates related to this. Thanks.