question

John R. Roberts avatar image
John R. Roberts asked ·

Seeking guidance on minSdkVersion

I poked around a bit, but I can't find any guidance on what Android SDK level I need to use for the Maps v2 API. For Maps v1 I've used minSdkVersion=10 in my AndroidManifest.xml for my apps with the intent of reaching the maximum Kindle audience. The sample CoffeeActivity uses minSdkVersion=15 and targetSdkVersion=21. Would I lose potential app sales, i.e. lose Kindle support, using a minSdkVersion=15 vs. 10? What does Maps v2 require? What are the tablet audience tradeoffs with minSdkVersion for Amazon Kindles? Anyone know? Message was edited by: John R. Roberts
amazon maps
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

DougM@Amazon avatar image
DougM@Amazon answered ·
Hello John, For Maps v2, it is only supported on FireOS 4.5 or later, which is on 3rd and 4th generation tablets.So, as far as minimum API level for Maps v2, you could have it be API level 19 and it wouldn't negatively impact your app's compatibility any more than its dependency on Maps v2 specifically. If you are wishing to support Maps v1, then you would need to support at least API level 15 as that is the earliest level supported by any device that has Amazon Maps.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

John R. Roberts avatar image
John R. Roberts answered ·
Thanks!