question

Sean Parsons avatar image
Sean Parsons asked

Starting out - not sure what I need

Hi,

I have a set of home automation devices recognised by Alexa and I can control them easily enough with the standard utterances.

However, I would like to create a few new phrases to be recognised by Alexa and have them trigger a set of existing devices (switches, in this case). As an example, if I were to say 'Alexa, boost the heating for 45 minutes' I would then see a switch for the heating turn on and a switch for the hot water circuit turn on. After 45 minutes, they would both then switch off.

I understand a bit about skills, etc. and can follow the basics (and have done) - but my main question is on how to make use of existing devices already registered with Alexa, such as the switches mentioned above. Are they accessible from within a lambda and if so, how?

Any pointers would be great - even better if there are some resources with examples using existing devices within Alexa.

Thanks.

devices
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Andy Whitworth avatar image
Andy Whitworth answered

It's only really viable if the devices have an API which you can call. You won't be able to hook into any existing Alexa integration. Alternatively you could use Alexa routines but these (currently) can't be parameterised so you could have a routine to turn something on for a fixed period of time but not a variable time.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.