question

David avatar image
David asked

Alexa Is it possible to push reminders to a users device and phone as a notification?

Hi! In the the Alexa companion app, I can update a reminder to choose the device that will play the reminder. Can I do the same thing by updating a reminder programmatically with the API? And if so, can I allow the reminders to be pushed to a device as well as the smart phone?

alexaremindersalexa notification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

David avatar image
David answered

I eventually found an odd workaround, but I believe it is discouraged by the Alexa best practices.

I create placeholder reminders a few years in the future, and update them based on a backend database so I can update reminders for the user (offline) if the backend changes. I could've created with a prompt when the user logs in, but I wanted to trigger this from the backend to reflect immediately without having to interact with the Alexa skill.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.