question

Teco avatar image
Teco asked

implement actionable notification from AWS.

I am trying to implement a notification that Alexa can say without triggering any intent, using the lambda function in AWS.
something like what the home assistant did, actionable notification

what are the possible ways to do this?
regards,

alexa skillsalexa notification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Andy Whitworth avatar image
Andy Whitworth answered

You are limited in how you can notify users from an Alexa skill.

Proactive Events allow you to create notifications but they have restrictions:

1. The event causes the target Alexa device to emit a tone indicating a notification is available. The device won't speak the notification without the user asking Alexa to "read notifications".

2. There are a limited number of schema which proactive events support, you can't issue free-format text notifications. Supported schema are things like sports score updates, weather updates etc. Only Amazon can add new schema and they don't seem to be very active in this area.

4 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Yes, I believe in what you said,

but please check out this link https://github.com/keatontaylor/alexa-actions/wiki,

how does Home Assistant succeed to do that?

0 Likes 0 ·

I had to do some investigation to see how that works!

Basically it uses undocumented Amazon APIs to mimic the Alexa app and so can perform actions which aren't officially supported by Amazon.

https://github.com/custom-components/alexa_media_player/wiki

If you were to use such an approach then you could only use the skill in dev mode, Amazon would not certify it. Also Amazon could change or block the underlying API without any notice.

1 Like 1 ·
Teco avatar image Teco Andy Whitworth ·

thank you, I really appreciate your help.
Will Alexa experts offer some Official API, if a company contacts them and asks for special features?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments