question

Pierre avatar image
Pierre asked

Make user input API Token by hand

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a way to invoke an input field when the user installs their Alexa Skill, something like the account linking prompt, instead though they only enter an API token. The whole process of saving the token works so far (via DynamoDB), but you have to enter it via a voice command , which is quite tedious, so I thought if there is a way to enter it at the start of the phone, or a prompt.

My Problem: The website i take information from doesn't have an oAuth, but simply gives the user an API token, to retrieve their data. That's why I can't use the account linking process.

Thanks a lot in advance

apidynamodbamazon simple storage servicepersonalization
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Andy Whitworth avatar image
Andy Whitworth answered

It is possible to create a webpage which is called via the Amazon account linking process and have that webpage accept any data you want e.g. your API token. The webpage can then either store the token in your dynamodb or return it back to the Amazon account linking process flow and have it used as the authToken for all skill requests. You would use the Alexa account linking implicit grant for this.

You would need to read up on the account linking process but I have done something similar and it's actually not too difficult.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.