question

Andrea Milone avatar image
Andrea Milone asked

Launch Skill without enabling it from the Alexa App

Hi!

We've recently deployed our first Alexa Skill, but users are not able to launch it without first enabling from the Alexa App.

We've seen that for other Skills that it's possible to invoke a Skill which has never been launched on a device without having to enable the skill from the "Amazon Alexa" app, is there some action required to allow the automatic invocation for our new Skill (live from yesterday 04/04/2022)?

skillalexaenablement
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Andy Whitworth avatar image
Andy Whitworth answered

Have you tried enabling via voice ? i.e. "Enable <skill invocation name>".

I don't know why some skills seem to require explicit enablement whereas some seem to auto-enable, perhaps it's something to do with the skill maturity rating ? (guess).

Alternatively you can also use skill quicklinks to start a skill from a URL -> https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/custom-skills/create-a-quick-link-for-your-skill.html

5 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hey @Andy Whitworth, sorry for bothering, can I ask you what do you mean by "maturity rating"? Do you believe it can be related to the fact that the Skill is too "young" or to the user rating of the Skill?

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi, I meant the Amazon "rating" for the skill, not the user review stars.
0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @Andy Whitworth, thanks!

Could it be related to where the Skill is hosted according to you?My Skill is not Alexa-hosted, I was thinking that maybe only Alexa-hosted skills have that feature

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Andrea Milone avatar image
Andrea Milone answered

Hi @Andy Whitworth, yes I tried enabling with the voice but without success. Only after enabling via app I'm able to invoke the Skill correctly. Anyway thanks for the heads-up on the URL to start the Skill, I'm taking a look!
Let's see if anyone else knows why only some skill can be enabled automatically, maybe it's related to skill maturity rating like you suggested

10 |5000

Joseph Kesselman avatar image
Joseph Kesselman answered

It seems that Alexa is now asking for approval both via the app, and in voice the first time you use the skill. This may have been intended as a security feature, to keep someone from turning something on without your knowledge.

2 comments
10 |5000

Hi @Joseph Kesselman ! Yes, but only for some Skills, unfortunately it's still unclear the criteria used by Alexa to determine whether or not a Skill can be invoked automatically.
0 Likes 0 ·
I think your guess that it depends on how much usage the skill already has, and @Andy Whitworth's guess that it might depend on whether you've said the skill is suitable for kids or not, are both possible... but I don't know either.

I've decided to accept that this is the way it works for my skill right now. There are many ways I'd like to improve my skill that I consider more important than this; it's just not worth worrying about yet.

0 Likes 0 ·