question

Jacky Morton avatar image
Jacky Morton asked

Can I create a custom skill or routine so that users can access Alexa-to-Alexa calling?

Our product is designed for elderly users who cannot always remember the wake work and what to say to Alexa so they are understood. I would like to nudge them to phone a friend, can I link into Alexa-to-Alexa calling with a skill or a routine?

custom skill
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

KatC@Amazon avatar image
KatC@Amazon answered

Hello there,

At this time, this type of skill-to-skill functionality isn't available, and to make calls as you're describing you would need to use another type of service, such as Skype.

We don't have a way for Alexa to initiate a call or skill session without first speaking the wake word, as Alexa is programmed to only listen and respond once the wake word has been spoken. However, if it is easier for your users to remember, the wake word can be changed to "computer", or any of the other allowed wake words. More on how to change the wake word can be found here.

I can certainly see how the situation you describe makes it very important that users can easily access Alexa, and I hope one of these workarounds can help.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.