question

Marcelo Kopmann avatar image
Marcelo Kopmann asked

How to disable Previous and Next buttons in a Alexa Custom Skill?

I'm developing a radio skill for Alexa and would like to disable the next and previous buttons when the skill is appearing on an Echo Show device.
I've tested other radio skills and they have these buttons disabled.
I haven't found anything on AudioPlayer Interface and PlaybackControllers Interface docs.
I'm using a radio.co stream. Take this as example: https://streams.radio.co/s931d44131/listen

alexaecho showaudioplayerplaybackcontrollercustom skill
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Kinisoftware avatar image
Kinisoftware answered

Hey @Marcelo Kopmann :)

Maybe those radio skills that you tested are using custom APL instead of AudioPlayer? Or radio/podcast API?

I do not think that you can disable the buttons in screen but you definitely can handle those interactions without a response so it is like "disabling" the buttons. Anyway, I know what you mean and what I propose is not the best solution. My guess is that other skills that you tried are not using AudioPlayer (or there is a part in the documentation that we are not able to find :))

2 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

That might be the case. Or maybe the skills I've tested were actually Amazon's First Party, like iHeart Radio.

I've just tested other less known skills and all of them had Prev/Next buttons enabled (but not doind anything like you said).

I think that's good enought for my project.

Thanks for answering!

1 Like 1 ·
Always happy to help :)
0 Likes 0 ·