question

KatieZ avatar image
KatieZ asked

Flash Briefing has reverted back to playing 5 episodes instead of DAILY. Help

This was working just fine up until last week when I updated the image and some of the text in my description. Now - all of a sudden - it plays all 5 episodes at a time. While this is annoying in Alexa, my RSS feed is doing just fine on Spotify, iTunes, Google podcasts and more platforms. So no, I won't change the RSS feed as it goes out to all these other places. What is Amazon doing that makes it DISREGARD the DAILY toggle and play everything all at once. Can you take a look at it?

Any ideas? Did you guys make some changes last week?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I am losing listeners.

Title of Flash Briefing: Marketing Residency by Jan Rossi

is the flash briefing / podcast

flash briefing
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

KirkC@Amazon avatar image
KirkC@Amazon answered

The way Alexa flash briefing skills work is that Alexa will play any and all items if your RSS feed for the user so long as both of the following are true:

• The feed used by your flash briefing skill has items that are less than 7 days old
  • Your user account has not yet heard those feed items

Given this, it's not necessarily unexpected behavior that Alexa may read five items to a user at once, as long as those five RSS feed items are less than 7 days old and the user hasn't yet heard them.

Alternatively, Alexa may also read all items if your skill's flash briefing feed if the user account has already heard all items in the feed, and there's no new content to play. In this scenario Alexa may "start from the top" and replay all items less than 7 days old.

The "Daily" toggle which you're referring to, labelled as "Content update frequency" is intended to be used to tell Alexa how often we should expect new content to appear in your feed. This option does not limit the number of items read to a user.

When it comes to flash briefing skills then, if the desired behavior is to make sure that users are only ever read one item at a time, then the RSS or JSON feed configured must only ever have one item present.

For more information on flash briefing RSS and JSON feed requirements, please see the following documentation:
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/flashbriefing/flash-briefing-skill-api-feed-reference.html

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.