question

Eager Tom avatar image
Eager Tom asked

debugging external API call

I'm trying to build a skill in the developer console which calls an external API. In testing, when I ask Alexa for the corresponding intent, she 'has trouble doing what I asked'. I've narrowed the problem down to the API call, but am struggling to debug in more detail - I can't find the info I need in the JSON output and I can't figure out how to get my logging.info to appear in the new developer console testing display.

How can I get useful (i.e. Pythonic) output from the Test tab on the new developer console?

debuggingapipythondeveloper consoledebugger
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Eager Tom avatar image
Eager Tom answered

some heroes in the Slack channel helped me out here: for those struggling to debug Python in the developer console, under the Code tab the CloudWatch Logs link at the top of the editor takes you to a list of all the logs generated when running your scripts!

Turns out my problem wasn't with the API call at all, but with typos in arguments passed to functions. So I'm none the wiser regarding how you might debug an API call which fails while communicating with an external server, but at least I now have debugger output which I recognise!

1 comment
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Glad we could help ;)

0 Likes 0 ·