question

Fabián Romo avatar image
Fabián Romo asked

If I'm designing my own gadget, where should the Amazon ID and an Alexa Gadget Secret ID be stored?

Hi.

We have a prototype with the Shadows example from freertos that interacts with an aws iot object.

A lambda function is also linked to said object and using an Alexa skill, various output terminals of the microcontroller can be activated.

Now if I want to make several devices, each one with its microcontroller, so that only one skill works for any device, it must send some kind of identification to the lambda function, so that it decides with which object to interact.

From what little I have managed to understand, for the skill to send some type of identification to the lambda function, it implies that our device must be registered in ALEXA AVS where you are provided with an Amazon ID and an Alexa Gadget Secret ID.

My question is: Who should own the above mentioned IDs?

If it is the microcontroller, it should interact with the alexa skill without intervention from the lambda function.

If it is the lambda function, this is who would have the mentioned IDs in its code and based on those it decides with which object to interact.

Please, any ideas or suggestions. Thanks

lambdaaws iotalexa gadgets
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Jason@Amazon avatar image
Jason@Amazon answered

AVS is used to generally register standalone products that have integrated Alexa and can work without a skill. In your case, it sounds like you are trying to interact with microcontrollers that can be controlled through a skill, so AVS isn't suitable for your use case. You generally have two options - smart home skills or the Alexa Gadgets Toolkit.

Smart home skills are explained here, but through the use of account linking and discovery, a single skill can be used to control devices owned by customers.

The Alexa Gadgets Toolkit allows customers to control Bluetooth devices that are linked an Alexa-enabled device. There are obviously limitations in that it must connect over Bluetooth but is generally the only way to connect devices locally.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.