question

Pablo Martinez avatar image
Pablo Martinez asked

Working on an Alexa skill from Visual Studio Code

First of all, sorry if this is a duplicate, but I couldn't find any info after searching in the forum for a while

I want to code an Alexa skill from VSCode, as I prefer it rather than coding on the browser. I tried following the steps on "offline tools" but I've been struggling to get it working

Option A, extension:

When I open the VSCode extension, sign in and try to import my existing project, it asks for some git credentials which I couldn't get after following this tutorial.

• Manually making the petition from Python i get a 401 Response (I don't know what the Authorization header value should be)

• Executing ask util git-credentials-helper didn't work either

Option B, CLI:

After installing NodeJS and ASK-CLI, i get could not fetch origin error using ask init --hosted-skill-id amzn1.ask.skill.myId

I probably just made a lot of dumb mistakes but I'm really confused rigth now, thanks in advance for the help

alexaVisual Studio Code
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Andy Whitworth avatar image
Andy Whitworth answered

For option B, if you're creating a new skill then you need to run "ask new" rather than "ask init" to create the skill + local directory.

You can then use VSCode to edit the skill code / metadata and "ask deploy" to deploy.

Deployment is different for an Alexa Hosted skill however!

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gaetano@Amazon avatar image
Gaetano@Amazon answered

Hi @Pablo Martinez,

Do you want just to code and then push the changes?

If yes, please follow this reference.

If you want to debug your skill locally as well, please check the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t8AxdmnbNM

Regards,
Gaetano