question

Matt Evans avatar image
Matt Evans asked

Audioplayer - Excessive downloads with multiple requests.

I host the content that some of my users play via the skill. Tracing the audio requests in Wireshark, I can see multiple requests downloading the same content in certain situations.

For example, a resume request will download the entire file, then a subsequent request will download the correct bytes using the range HTTP header. There then appears be another request to download the entire file again!

This is causing high bandwidth costs for me and unessary network traffic for my users. I have a PCAP file if helpful.

alexaaudioplayer
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Andy Whitworth avatar image
Andy Whitworth answered

Interesting! As the developer of a high-volume AudioPlayer skill I'd be interested in your findings.

Can you provide more detail and try to link audio events to https requests for the audio ?

i.e.

Play starts -> request for entire file

Resume request following a pause -> request for entire file

etc

etc

1 comment

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Play is generally OK for devices, although I've seen the Android app attempt to do things like download the entire file with the accept header as gzip and then download it again with Accept: identity.

The devices appear to work a little differently.

Resume is the main problem though as multiple copies are downloaded. I suspect they should probably be doing a HEAD request first to see if the server supports ranges rather than a complete download via GET.

See example below. First full request followed by a request with a range header:

inkedscreenshot-2021-09-28-141833-li.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
Matt Evans avatar image
Matt Evans answered

Bump - Any comments from Amazon. This is really impacting my bandwidth costs.

1 comment

Have you raised a "contact us" support case in parallel ? Worth doing although this seems like something baked into the audio player infrastructure and so resolution may be glacial in pace...
0 Likes 0 ·
KirkC@Amazon avatar image
KirkC@Amazon answered

Hi Matt. I just wanted to let you know that we received your contact us case and have responded asking for some additional details. Once those details are provided, we'll be able to pass this information to the appropriate internal engineering team for further review.