question

321 Developer avatar image
321 Developer asked

Trouble with adding custom task to existing skill

Hello,

i'm trying to add a custom task to an existing skill.

The skill is self-hosted.

So far we only used the development console to manage it, not the CLI.

What i did:

- "downloaded" the current skill package using:

ask smapi export-package --stage development -s <skill-id>
ask init

Added "CountDown.1.json" from the documentation to skill-package\tasks\

Added "tasks" entry in "api" section of skill.json

deployed skill with "ask deploy" - which showed no error

As there is no proper way to test a custom task, i did what's shown in the docu, i tried getting the task info with:

ask smapi get-task -s <skillId> --task-name <skillId>.CountDown --task-version 1

The error i get is:

"No task details for given name and taskVersion found."

It seems there is one small step missing somewhere, but i'm reading the same parts of the documentation for hours, i can't figure it out.

Any suggestions?

sdk
1 comment
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Addition:

As Alexa “quick links” only work with live-skills, i’m using the “ask smapi get-task (…)” method from the Alexa documentation to test if the custom task was added successfully.

I’m wondering if this already counts as “Direct skill connections” which requires registering for the preview and that’s the reason it doesn’t work?

If yes, is there anything you can do with a custom task without registering from the preview? (Of course i did try registering, but in the past, i've never been given access to any preview, so i can't count on it)

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Jason@Amazon avatar image
Jason@Amazon answered

Custom tasks require joining the developer preview, so you would need to be accepted in order to use them.

2 comments
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi Jason,

thanks for your response.

If that's true, the documentation is wrong or at least unclear. By my interpretation, the developer preview should only be needed for "Direct skill connections". Not for quick links (which is what i need).

If you have an Alexa skill, you can modify it to perform custom tasks.

Important: Direct skill connections are currently in developer preview. To use them, you must register your skill for the preview.

0 Likes 0 ·

Quick links by themselves can be used without joining any preview, but the custom task functionality for quick links is an extension of direct skill connections, meaning that you need to be part of the direct skill connections preview in order to use custom tasks anywhere for a skill.

0 Likes 0 ·