question

Colin Cole avatar image
Colin Cole asked

Is an Alexa smart home device Endpoint-Id Case Sensitive?

Hi. I'm doing a complete rewrite of my current Alexa skill. Wondering if I change the casing of an endpoint id whether that will require me to delete the old endpoint id and add the new endpoint? Or is it case sensitive? API Documentation doesn't indicate "https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/device-apis/alexa-discovery-objects.html#endpoint-object".

alexa smart home
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Chihiro@Amazon avatar image
Chihiro@Amazon answered

Hi Colin,
Thank you for posting. Updating endpointId on skill backend will not be reflected to discovered device automatically. If your skill endpoint can successfully handle directives with old endpointId, it should not be an issue. For example, if the current endpointId is "light-001", you will receive TurnOn directive (Alexa.PowerController) with endpointId "light-001". If you endpoint handles this directive successfully and respond with "light-001", there is no issue. If your endpoint respond to directives with new endpointID "Light-001", the response should still be accepted as long as the endpoint.scope.token is correct. However, to avoid unexpected behavior, we would recommend re-discover devices and make sure endpointID is exact match.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.