question

Jacques Julmice avatar image
Jacques Julmice asked ·

Improving sales

I'm really struggling to get sales; I have uploaded lots of designs over the past 3 to 4 years but I've only sold 3 or 4 designs and the quantities have been very small. I have one design that was selling 5 to 6 units every month for the past 6 months. But that went down to 0 since last month. This was a side hustle so it wasn't a big deal. Now I'm dedicated to make this my regular source of income and could use some coaching on improving my descriptions and keywords to get my designs seen. I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide.

merch by amazon
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

upena avatar image
upena answered ·

Make better designs

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

2pc4me avatar image
2pc4me answered ·

Try to find a 'niche', choose subjects you actually find interesting and create designs based around that/those niche/niches and you're more likely to actually enjoy your work. If you have an interest/passion for what you create it can help boost the quality of those creations, which in turn can make them more desirable to fans of the subject.

Regarding descriptions etcetera (the metadata), all of it (title, bullet points and description) must be relevant to the design which you're creating the metadata for.
Where keywords are concerned, I was under the impression that we were supposed to incorporate keywords into readable text and not just 'stuff' keywords into the bullet points, however I have seen 'keyword stuffing' in the bullet points just recently so maybe it's allowed.
Personally I prefer to use readable text containing keywords, we've got a good amount of character space to utilise (particularly if we keep it relevant as we're supposed to). I also think the readable text approach is probably more Google friendly* than keyword stuffing, it may be more work than just cramming in a bunch of keywords but I think it's worth it.
However you incorporate your keywords, you must make them relevant and avoid using any terms which are trademarked or otherwise protected, you will almost certainly have designs rejected at some point for trademark or other IP (Intellectual Property) reasons. If you avoid obvious terms such as 'Disney' and refer to the various online trademark databases listed on this page; https://merch.amazon.com/resource/201858630 when you're unsure, you should be okay.
Designs rejected due to metadata infringements can be republished once the offending metadata is edited out.

*in recent years Google search algorithm updates have seemingly been working toward making readable text more important while simultaneously downgrading the importance of separate keywords (that's been my take on the subject anyhow!)

Hope this is of some help.

EDIT: What's this 'Expert Answer' nonsense? - anyone know?

#Jacques Julmice