question

Allan avatar image
Allan asked

Firestick Feature Request: Allow access to browser to connect to wifi

I take my firestick wherever I go but often enough I can't use it if the wifi login is behind a captive portal or browser login. While I'm working on a hardware solution involving a travel router, it would be great if this could be done by just allowing access to apps on the firestick after connecting to wifi, even if there is 'no internet connection'. Opening the browser should then prompt the wifi service to deliver you to the login page. I am pretty sure this was a selling point (at least among geeks) years ago when I was researching streaming devices. It would be such a useful feature!

fire tvtutorialwi-fi setup
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Allan avatar image
Allan answered

Let me answer my own question. I finally found the solution - it isn't very intuitive!

First, while on the screen where the firestick informs you there is no internet connection, go across to the right and select the Settings cog icon. Then go to applications> manage installed applications> Silk Browser >Launch application. Then you can either enter any web address and hopefully the login page will open. Or try to access the internet on a different device, such as your phone, and then note down the web address of the login page in the browser and then enter this address in the Silk browser app on the firestick. After I logged in this way the firestick had internet access.

10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.