question

Howard Honig avatar image
Howard Honig asked

Smart home skill on a real iot device

I've been trying to figure out how to program a real device using the Smart Home Skill API. That is what it takes to program my Wifi capable device to connected to the AWS lambda function. I have to be missing something obvious.

I've read all the doc pages available about Smart Home skill at least 3x, I've created all the examples using node.js and python and they worked as expected. I've searched the web for answers for this but coming out zilch. I've tried to read all the related questions on the forum some of the questions asked are directly appropriate but the best answer, which is entirely unsatisfactory, is someone pointing to a doc page that doesn't answer the question.

So let me try to be clear, if I haven't already: I have a device that can connect to Wifi, and thus the internet and know how to program it. I have a AWS lamda function (or program) that tests properly, the authentication works and I can see and enable the skill using the alexa app...NOW how do I get the lambda program to send requested event (turn-on/turn-off) to my device and have my device respond with the status? At this point I'm willing to settle for a single device.

I would also like the device to be able to be recognized by the alexa app device search.

smart home groups
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Gaetano@Amazon avatar image
Gaetano@Amazon answered

Hello and thanks for posting.

Please have a look at this answer, it should cover what you are trying to achieve.

Regards,
Gaetano

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.