question

Robert Oschler avatar image
Robert Oschler asked ·

TOO_MANY_REQUESTS error with Proactive Events API. PLEASE document the limits and help!

I'm finding it very difficult to hard test my Proactive Events API skill because the documents do not specify at all what the limits are for sending out notifications on a per-user basis. Now I'm stuck again with a skill in development that I can't do anymore work with because I am getting TOO_MANY_REQUESTS errors when I send out a notification.

Last time I got that error it poisoned my skill's Client ID & Secret pair so that I could never use them again. I had to create a completely new skill just to get a new Client ID & Secret pair just to get working again. When I got that error last time, I instituted checks in my code to wait at least two minutes between sending notifications because sending out more than that immediately triggered the error.

This time, after sending out about 40 notifications, I got that error again. Worse, I cleared all the pending notifications from my device and an hour later it's still dead. I have lost a ton of time trying to guess what the limits of the Proactive Events API and I can't imagine for the life of me why those limits aren't documented somewhere plainly. It's been at least a year since the API's release. There is only the mention of a single 25 transactions per second limit for the entire skill. That's it.

Remember, I am doing this with an Alexa skill that is unpublished(development mode) on my personal Alexa device. Shouldn't I be able, as a professional developer, to send out as many notifications as I like since that is what any good developer does during hard testing?

The current workflow with the Proactive Events API is very painful because of this, which is a shame because it's a well designed API and a killer feature.

Please:

- Tell me if my skill is now permanently banned from sending notifications like last time or if not, how long do I have to wait now?

- Document all the Proactive Event API limits that lead to the dreaded TOO_MANY_REQUESTS error. Number per customer per minute, per hour, per day, all of it please!

- Give us a known fast contact route where we can get our skills "reset" when this error happens. It's a skill-killer.

alexa skills kitproactive events
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jason@Amazon avatar image
Jason@Amazon answered ·

There is a limit for sending notifications to a customer in a 24-hour period. We may adjust the limit based on feedback from our customers on the notification experience. When the limit is met for a customer from a particular skill, the API returns a 432 status code with a message: “Too many notifications for customer”.

However, we have disabled notification limits for the /v1/proactiveEvents/stages/development endpoint to improve the skill development experience.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Tyler Burton avatar image
Tyler Burton answered ·

Hi Jason, thanks for responding. We were also facing this issue, but the daily limit is not mentioned anywhere in the API documentation page: https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/smapi/proactive-events-api.html.

Would it be possible to add a note there for future reference and folks who might be facing the same issue. Thanks.

1 comment

The tech docs have since been updated with this information with the same link above, so we should be good there now.

0 Likes 0 ·