question

Jessica avatar image
Jessica asked

Integrating Alexa with custom Smart Hub

So one of the projects my team and I are working on are is a Smart Hub, which we would like to be able to integrate with Alexa. Our Smart Hub can have a lot of devices and various functionality and we want the simplest way to link the two. And if we/the user make changes to our hub, we would like to automatically let Alexa know of the changes in capabilities(i.ie. not having to make the user add/remove new devices). So for this project, which Alexa development API/developer tools would allow us to be able to best control multiple devices , pair our smart hub with Alexa once, and automatically let Alexa know of any changes of the removal/adding of devices. So far, just from reading documentation it seems like using the routines would allow us to control multiple devices but unfortunately it seems like the Alexa app using routines doesn’t allow us that capability since there is no API available to be able to customize for our own needs.

alexa skills kitalexaalexa smart homesmart home
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Gaetano@Amazon avatar image
Gaetano@Amazon answered

Hello and thanks for posting.

To accomplish that you would need a smart home skill.

Please check my response here that should clarify how to interact with a device in the smart home domain.

On top of that I can add that if there is a change to your Smart Hub (i.e. a new device added), you would need to make Alexa aware of it by sending an AddOrUpdateReport.

Kind Regards,
Gaetano

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.