question

dmh avatar image
dmh asked

Volume control not working, triggering random intent instead

I am working on a new skill and facing an issue where, as soon as I add an intent, the volume control stops working and instead triggers one of the intents available.

If I remove all the intents the volume works again. I am currently testing with a very simple hello world code and am still facing this issue.

Example:

"Alexa, open hello word" - skill is triggered.

"Alexa, volume up" - Alexa returns a response it should return when triggering a different intent.

This behavior is the same whenever the user's utterance doesn't match any intent, it just randomly triggers some intent instead of 1) returning the HelpIntent or 2) in the case of volume control, puts the volume up or down.

I do know that the volume isn't something custom skill developers have access to and is supposed to be handled by default from the Alexa device.

This behavior is only observed on video devices (Echo Spot, Echo Show) but when testing on an Amazon Echo device the volume always works no matter what intents are added.

The volume is working on the other skills I worked on but not this one, despite the code and skill settings being similar.

Any help or hint on where to look would be very appreciated!

alexa skills kitalexaintentsecho showask sdk
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra avatar image
Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra answered

Hi @dmh and thanks for your message.

Can you please provide the activity keys for the utterances that work and the ones that don't work? Activity keys can be retrieved by following the steps listed here.

Regards,
Barry

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.