question

Phil McGee avatar image
Phil McGee asked

Problem with RangeController in fr-FR

I have a smart home skill which used Alexa.RangeController to select a preset/favorite music station. The Discovery JSON contains the following snippet:

capabilityResources={"friendlyNames": [
  {"@type": "text", "value": {"text": "Favorite", "locale": "en-US}}, 
  {"@type": "text", "value": {"text": "Preset", "locale": "en-US"}}, 
  {"@type": "text", "value": {"text": "Présélection", "locale": "fr-FR"}},
  {"@type": "text", "value": {"text": "Mémoire", "locale": "fr-FR"}}
]}

If I ask "Alexa, favorite 2 on Kitchen Player" it plays correctly but asking "Alexa, mets la présélection 2 sur cuisine" it does not work. Anybody any ideas? Is RangeController broken or is this the incorrect wording for that command in French?

smart home
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra avatar image
Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra answered

Hello @philchillbill and sorry for the delayed reply.

Are you still facing this issue? If so, can you please provide the following, so I can help you further:

• entire discovery JSON (if too large, you can host it in a cloud storage service and share the link);
  • the activity key of your failed utterance (activity keys can be retrieved by following the instructions over here;

Regards,
Barry

2 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@barry@amazon. It's been 7 weeks since I responded with the details you requested. May I suggest that if you respond to somebody with "sorry for the delayed reply", you make a note to self that a further response to your delayed reply might be needed sooner rather than later?

I'm curious what's the stated purpose of these forums. Is it the intention that the community responds (meaning responses from Amazon employees are sporadic), or what can we actually expect from Amazon here?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @philchillbill.

I apologise for taking so long to get back to you. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it has been difficult to provide replies in a timely manner. As the safety and wellbeing of our team is paramount, we appreciate your patience during this time.

Regarding the information you provided, I replied to you informing that the activity key provided contained only the device's wake word ("Alexa") and no additional utterances and asked for a new activity key with the utterance that is failing. Please provide these so we can continue the analysis.

This forum is public, so the community is more than welcome to jump in and assist others if they know the answer. If you want an "one on one" experience with the support team from Amazon, may I suggest that you open a case via the Contact Us form?

Regards,
Barry

0 Likes 0 ·
Phil McGee avatar image
Phil McGee answered
3 comments
10 |5000

Hi @philchillbill and sorry for my delayed reply.

The activity key you provided does not contain a French utterance, yet just "Alexa". Can you please provide an activity key with the failing utterance?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Barry

0 Likes 0 ·
Phil McGee avatar image Phil McGee Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra ♦♦ ·

If I listen even now to the audio recording associated with that utterance then it is clearly "Alexa, mets la présélection 2 sur basement player". I have no idea why only the text "Alexa" shows at the link in question. Perhaps that's the whole problem?

0 Likes 0 ·

Following up on behalf of barry@amazon - that's definitely an issue if Alexa doesn't recognize anything there. If "Alexa" is the only text available, it means that it wasn't recognized.

Try an utterance that will result in the text showing up in the history (meaning that it is properly recognized with the correct language), please file a contact us here where we will be able to assist further.

https://developer.amazon.com/alexa/console/contact-us

0 Likes 0 ·