question

Alex Rublinetsky avatar image
Alex Rublinetsky asked

Unchecking Device Display in simulator still sends requests with APL supported

I am pretty sure that in the past, when I needed to test how my skill works on a device without a display (like an Echo Dot), I simply unchecked the Device Display at the top of the web-based simulator, and the requests behaved as they were received from a screenless device.

Now, when I uncheck the Device Display checkbox in the simulator, I am receiving requests that contain the following:

"supportedInterfaces": {
	"Alexa.Presentation.APL": {
		"runtime": {
			"maxVersion": "1.5"
		}
	}
}

I believe, that the presence of "Alexa.Presentation.APL" in "supportedInterfaces" is the recommended way to checking if the device has a display and APL may be included in the response.

What am I missing? If this is expected behavior, is there a way to simulate screenless devices?

alexa skills kittestingdisplay
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gaetano@Amazon avatar image
Gaetano@Amazon answered

Hello and thanks for posting.

Can you please share the skill-ID you are experiencing this issue with?

Regards,
Gaetano

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Alex Rublinetsky avatar image
Alex Rublinetsky answered

Hi @Gaetano@Amazon ,

All of them, it seems. I tried the following of my skills and they all exhibit the same behavior:

* amzn1.echo-sdk-ams.app.3dcfc44d-faf0-4441-9a82-16911fd1fbb0

* amzn1.ask.skill.cec7391a-72dd-4c97-a6d7-7bb72565e845

* amzn1.ask.skill.2ed72035-e778-44c9-b3bf-f637e80bf30d

Thanks,

Alex

2 comments

Thanks for the additional info.

I am currently looking into it and will keep you posted.

Regards,
Gaetano

0 Likes 0 ·

Hello and thanks for your patience.

I checked with our internal team and it looks like this is the expected behaviour: The APL runtime version will always appear in the request.

If this is critic for your skill development, feel free to post this on the UserVoice portal for Alexa over here:
https://alexa.uservoice.com/forums/906892-alexa-skills-developer-voice-and-vote

Regards,
Gaetano

0 Likes 0 ·