question

Borgstrom avatar image
Borgstrom asked

CloudFormation Alexa::ASK::Skill - Error occurred while updating the skill. Cause: Skill not found

I am trying to deploy an Alexa skill based off of the reference example here: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSCloudFormation/latest/UserGuide/aws-resource-ask-skill.html#aws-resource-ask-skill--examples

My CloudFormation template looks like:

Skill:
  Type: Alexa::ASK::Skill
  Properties:
    AuthenticationConfiguration:
      ClientId: '{
                 {resolve:secretsmanager:amazon/developer:SecretString:ClientId}}'
      ClientSecret: '{
                 {resolve:secretsmanager:amazon/developer:SecretString:ClientSecret}}'
      RefreshToken: '{
                 {resolve:secretsmanager:amazon/developer:SecretString:RefreshToken}}'
    VendorId: '{
                 {resolve:secretsmanager:amazon/developer:SecretString:VendorId}}'
    SkillPackage:
      S3Bucket: !Ref SkillBucketName
      S3Key: !Ref SkillObjectKey
      S3BucketRole: !GetAtt AlexaReadS3Role.Arn
      Overrides:
        Manifest:
          apis:
            custom:
              endpoint:
                uri: !GetAtt Function.Arn

Trying to apply this template always results in the error:

Error occurred while updating the skill. Cause: Skill not found with id: amzn1.ask.skill.845be49a-d972-43e0-a3d1-09a56b323acc

Every time the "id" is different, and the preceding message is: "CREATE_IN_PROGRESS Resource creation Initiated"

I have read the other similar posts, but none of them have solutions or things for me to try. I'm hoping someone sees this and has more context.

Thanks!

alexa skills kitalexacloudformation
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Borgstrom avatar image
Borgstrom answered

This turned out to be an error in the skill.json file

We had thought that running "ask deploy" was successful, but it turned out that it was not...

#732 ❯❯❯ ask deploy --debug
Deploy configuration loaded from ask-resources.json
Deploy project for profile [default]

==================== Deploy Skill Metadata ====================
[Error]: {
  "message": "Skill not found with id: amzn1.ask.skill.fc950c28-965d-4e28-9f16-efed33a64c6f"
}

So, if you run into this error debug it by running "ask deploy" locally with the correct credentials set up.

I wish the Alexa SMAPI returned better errors for this...

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.