question

newuser-92e682e1-0168-4c72-b09a-78060f8a9efd avatar image

Is there any way to upload Multimodal Responses programmatically

I like the Alexa Developer Console interface for creating and editing Multimodal responses, however I like to have everything source controlled so I would like a way to programmatically upload/download my APL json files under the new "Multimodal Responses" section.

It doesn't seem like the new ASK CLI has any clone functionality and from what I've been able to find out we can clone interaction models and general skill config, but not the APL(A) documents.

Is there any way via an API or ASK CLI to do this?

I don't fancy creating a custom script to login to my account and upload the data. And the alternative of copying dozens of files manually is not very attractive.

audioresponseapldeveloper consolecli
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-92e682e1-0168-4c72-b09a-78060f8a9efd avatar image
newuser-92e682e1-0168-4c72-b09a-78060f8a9efd answered

Solution:

Thanks to Alex Martin for pointing me towards the VSCode plugin. It seems that is a really nice plugin if that's your IDE and you have an Alexa-hosted skill.

For others though, it seems that the ask cli v2 will actually do this for you if you put your templates in the correct structure:
e.g.:
skill-package/response/prompts/Dummy/document.json

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Alexander Martin avatar image
Alexander Martin answered

Hi,

if you use Visual Studio Code you might want to try the ASK Toolkit, it has many features among others:

Create, Download & Preview APL Documents

• Create new APL documents using the Create option under Skills pane -> YourAwesomeSkill -> Alexa Presentation Language (APL).
  • Download saved APL documents in the APL Authoring tool, using Download option under Skills pane -> YourAwesomeSkill -> Alexa Presentation Language (APL).
  • Preview APL documents in Skill Package, using Preview option under Skills pane -> YourAwesomeSkill -> Alexa Presentation Language (APL).
  • Optionally, change the viewport of the preview to a different device, using Change viewport profile option under Skills pane -> YourAwesomeSkill -> Alexa Presentation Language (APL).

Regards,

Alex

1 comment
10 |5000

Thanks,

Unfortunately I'm using self-hosted skills so after downloading and having a look it doesn't seem like that is an option.

That looks like a great tool for Alexa-hosted skills though. Had a little look on a dummy skill and looks like the functionality I'm after.

I'll have another look though and see if I can work around that somehow. Might be able to convert to Alexa-hosted or try to find out what APIs it's using.

0 Likes 0 ·