question

Aymeric de Martin de viviés avatar image
Aymeric de Martin de viviés asked

How to rename "provider" in Alexa answers

Hi,

I have a smarthome skill that handles a french top-box. It works great and Alexa can change the channel, change the volume, and so on.

However when we say "Alexa, switch to channel MTV" (or another command related to this skill), she can reply with "MTV on provider". She's using the keyword "provider" (at least in the French version) intead of using the actual name of the device (e.g. "MTV on Freebox").

During the discovery, I send the friendlyName that then correctly appears in the list of the devices. So I'm wondering if there is something else to send to Alexa to have her using the name of the device instead of using the generic "provider"?

Thanks

alexa smart homedevice discovery
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gaetano@Amazon avatar image
Gaetano@Amazon answered

Hello and thanks for posting.

Since I would need information related to your account specifically, please open a contact-us case from this link, sharing the full discovery response of the device, and the activity key related to the "Alexa, switch to channel MTV" utterance that is responding with the provider keyword.

More information on activity keys here.

Thanks!
Gaetano

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Aymeric de Martin de viviés avatar image
Aymeric de Martin de viviés answered

I received an answer: it's because I was using Smart Home Skill. I had to switch to Video Skill and use the property videoProviderTargetingName

Below is the answer from Alexa's team:

I followed up with our engineers and it seem in order to update "Provider" to "Freebox", skill needs to set "Freebox" as value for videoProviderTargetingName. videoProviderTargetingName is in skill manifest for video skill. To set videoProviderTargetingName, skill type must be video skill instead of smart home skill.

Your skill currently has Alexa.PlaybackController, Alexa.Speaker, Alexa.ChannelController and Alexa.PowerController. These interfaces are available for video skill as well. Please consider updating skill type to video skill.