question

newuser-6f8cf501-61ca-4d9c-b6c7-58aeeb689df6 avatar image

Solved: No Valid JTAG Interface Configured.

On first attempt to upload example program to the Arduino Zero - part of the USI dev kit - I received the error:

Error: No Valid JTAG Interface Configured

I am running on a Mac - Catalina 10.15.5 using Arduino IDE 1.8.13

What I believe ultimately solved the problem was using the 'Native USB Port' rather than the 'Programming' port that is described in the USI Setup kit instructions.

Just in case that doesn't solve it for others - I also did these additional steps during the course of my debugging.

- Rebooted my computer

- Gave my user access to /dev
sudo dscl . append /Groups/wheel GroupMembership {username}

- Installed CH340 Drivers

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=570440.0

During the course of debugging I also

- Tried a Windows machine - similar issues with Programming port and again ultimately was picked up without problem using the Native USB port as well
- Tried different microUSB cables - in the end the original cable that came with kit worked fine

Is there a problem with my Arduino Zero such that the Programming Port is defective? If that is the case can I get a replacement?

Can the documentation be updated to use the Native USB port in case the Programming Port doesn't work as part of Troubleshooting?

Could more clarification between the two ports be provided?

uploaddocumentation
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Manideep@Amazon avatar image
Manideep@Amazon answered

If you're getting an error "No valid JTAG Interface configured" you may have plugged your USB cable into the PROGRAM port and selected NATIVE port on Arduino IDE

Difference between Native and Programming port can be found here in Programming section under "Documentation" tab

For amazon.com purchases/exchanges, please reach out to customer support. More info on exchange/return policy here

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-6f8cf501-61ca-4d9c-b6c7-58aeeb689df6 avatar image
newuser-6f8cf501-61ca-4d9c-b6c7-58aeeb689df6 answered

Thanks @Manideep@Amazon For the reply.

The issue is that the when plugged into the Programming port, no Port is ever listed in the Arduino IDE. Only when the plugged into the Native USB port is when the board is recognized and ONLY the Native USB port is listed as an option in the Arduino IDE.

When plugged into the Programming Port the Port options in the Arduino IDE is empty and greyed out.

I will look to see if I can exchange the board to further debug the issue.