question

Krishn avatar image
Krishn asked

Cake Walk Tutorial Error: Always shows "There was a problem connecting to the service"

Hello,

I followed the cake walk tutorial given on the website, and when I first did it alongside, it worked really well.

Then today(after nearly a month), when I started it again it took the date as expected but whenever I asked the skill to get the number of days left in bday request, it always shows an error "There was a problem connecting to the service".
I searched on the forum as well as on different sites, but many people are experiencing the problem and there seems to be no proper solution for the same.
The problem occurs in the try catch block. The JSON Input shows that the system id and the token are generated properly, but still it reverts back to the exception error for some reason.

Can't seem to figure out the problem.
Please Help.

skillstutorial
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra avatar image
Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra answered

Hello @Krishn and thanks for your message.

Can you please provide your skill ID so I can troubleshoot it further?

Regards,
Barry

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Krishn avatar image
Krishn answered

Yeah Sure!

Here it is - amzn1.ask.skill.34165aef-e934-467f-b00d-6f583e0af1db

Thanks for checking out barry@amazon!

Regards,
Krishn.

10 comments

Hello and thank you for providing the skill ID.

I was able to launch the skill successfully, but it did not retrieve my birthday date once I launched again, which looks like an issue with saving the attributes in the persistent storage.

As there might have been changes in the template since you last posted, I would suggest you try creating a new skill with the most recent template and seeing if this is still an issue.

If it is, feel free to come back and let me know.

Regards,
Barry

1 Like 1 ·
Krishn avatar image Krishn Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra ♦♦ ·

Sure!
Thanks for the quick response. Will definitely revert back in case of any discrepancy.

Regards,
Krishn

1 Like 1 ·

Hi barry@amazon,

I just tried doing what you said(i.e. creating a new skill) and the problem still persists, but I found where the problem is happening, just can't seem to really identify it.

Some key points before that -

1. I have followed the Python Tutorials which have been provided on GitHub.
2. I already did empty up the S3 Bucket before starting with a new prompt.
3. There has been no problem with deleting of objects and Alexa asking it from me again.

The problem occurs when I write the code for the 4th Module (i.e. API Settings and Bday Calculation Logic). As soon as I write/copy that code following the Github docs, it shows the same error "There was a problem connecting to the service".
The code works fine for the first part where in it asks for my bday, remembers it too (as an S3 object IS created), but just can't seem to pull it from there upon reusing the skill next time.

Here's the link for the Module from Github - https://github.com/alexa/skill-sample-python-first-skill/tree/master/module-4
Maybe there needs to be some type of correction in it, and if still not then I don't understand what's going wrong.
Also my skill ID for the new skill is - amzn1.ask.skill.ec5d1e18-fb9b-43a4-8b47-c1503c4072b1

In any case, I would be looking up to you for the best solution possible.

Regards,
Krishn.

0 Likes 0 ·

Update: Also checked for the error again, found that the line "There was a problem connecting to the service" is the exception handler line for the API request.
This is the line that it prints when a user has already saved his/her bday and opens the skill again.

That means, there is some problem with accessing the API with the url's endpoint or deviceID, that is why the try block is failing.
I have attached a screenshot for the same.

Please if you can rectify this error, it would be great!
Waiting for a quick reply,

Regards,
Krishn.

0 Likes 0 ·
capture.png (63.3 KiB)

Hello @Krishn and thank you for your detailed messages.

Looking at the specific module you mentioned (module 4), helped me pinpoint the issue: as per the documentation, the Alexa simulator in the developer console has some limitations, one of which is that it is not possible to access the Settings API from the developer console. If you were to test your skill with an actual Alexa enabled device, the skill would work fine.

I understand that this is not an optimal experience, as you would expect that following an official tutorial would lead to a working skill. I am already in contact with the team that owns that tutorial to update the instructions.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
Barry

1 Like 1 ·
Show more comments
newuser-392f8531-4657-420b-96b7-9a0f5285423d avatar image
newuser-392f8531-4657-420b-96b7-9a0f5285423d answered

I also encounter this problem. One thing is I can at least work well with one gmail aws account, but my other account doesn't work (it raises the same error).

On that gmail account, no matter how I delete and create the skill again for exactly same steps, it just always works, while the other one always doesn't work.. weird